News

Archives

February 22, 2011

Orland Township to Host Second Recycling Event

 

More than 86,000 pounds of electronic equipment was collected by Orland Township in November. (Photo submitted by Orland Township)

 

After the first event brought in some staggering numbers – and traffic – Orland Township will host its second electronics recycling event from 8 a.m. to noon March 26.

 

Residents may drop off computers, televisions, stereos, phones, Christmas lights and electronics at the Orland Township Highway Department, 16125. Air conditioners cannot be accepted because of Freon content.

 

The first event was Nov. 13 and brought in 86,791 pounds of items. More than 1,000 cars lined Wolf Road during the event and Cook County police had to be called in to direct traffic.

 

“That was a complete surprise,” Orland Township Supervisor Paul O’Grady said. “They called me and I went to help them unload. It was incredible. We were completely overrun.”

 

Nearly 60 percent of the items collected at the recycling event will be reused as part of an effort to avoid environmental risk. The other 40 percent will be recycled by Vintage Tech Recyclers, Inc., of Romeoville.

 

O’Grady said the future plan is to run the event twice a year and to offer an unmanned pickup location for those who can’t make it for the big event. Orland Township is considering a document-shredding event in the future as well.