Blog

Archives

December 21, 2011

A Look at the Electronics Recycling Industry

According to a recent study released by the International Data Corporation (IDC), the electronics recycling industry has grown tremendously over the past ten years. The IDC is a highly-respected global provider of intelligence on the information and consumer technology markets. It has operated in over 110 countries for nearly 50 years. Here are a few interesting facts and figures that the IDC captured  about the electronics recycling industry:

  • 3.4 million tons of electronics were recycled in the year 2010 alone.
  • The electronics recycling industry has contributed $5.2 billion in revenue to the nation’s economy.
  • There are an estimated 600 – 1,000 electronics recycling organizations in the United States.
  • The average number of people employed by electronics recycling organizations has grown from roughly 36 in 2009 to 39 in 2010. The IDC estimates seeing about 44 employees per organization for 2011.
  • This means that approximately 31,500 jobs have been created nationwide for the electronics recycling field. This number is only expected to increase.
  • Residential households acquire the majority of new electronic products, yet they are still in the minority in terms of the electronics being recycled. Consumers contribute only 25% of the recycled electronics. The other 75% come from businesses.

At Vintage Tech, we are proud contributors to the growth of this industry, and support the effort to dispose of electronics responsibly. To learn more about this study, check out this article by the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc.